PRO: The Titans selected David Long Jr. in the sixth round of the 2019 NFL Draft. The 5-foot-11-inch, 227-pound defender possesses tremendous speed for the position, displays grit and toughness, and has a knack for finding the ball carrier. He started five games in his second season with the Titans in 2020 and totaled 50 tackles, one quarterback pressure, two tackles for loss and two passes defensed. At West Virginia, he was a three-year starter and amassed 252 career tackles, 14 sacks and 40 tackles for loss. The 2018 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year led the Mountaineers in tackles during his final collegiate campaign.
• In 2020, Long appeared in 14 games with a career-high five starts and tallied career-bests in tackles (50), quarterback pressures (one), tackles for loss (two), passes defensed (two) and special teams tackles (four).
• As a rookie in 2019, Long appeared in 14 games during the regular season. He also played in all three playoff contests with one start.
• David's father, David Sr., is a former professional boxer who went 12-5-2 as a heavyweight. He once fought future world champ Deontay Wilder.
• During the offseason, Long still uses on-the-bell, three-minute-round boxing training to focus on his mental awareness. In 2018, Long Jr. went into the ring with headgear against his old man for the first time. They went for three 90-second rounds. "He busted up my lip, but it was fun," Long Jr. says. "He was really iffy that I knew how to throw my hands for real. It was just jabs, but it's grown-man strength."
• Long was a high school teammate of safety Mike Edwards, who was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the third round of the 2019 NFL Draft.
• When Long was seven years old, he was on the back of a bike being pedaled by his older brother when he was hit by a car driven by someone who was not paying attention. He was treated at the hospital with head and arm injuries.
• The Cincinnati, Ohio, native was selected by the Titans in the sixth round (188th overall) of the 2019 NFL Draft.
• During a three-year career at West Virginia, played in 34 games with 31 starts and totaled 252 tackles, 14 sacks and 40 career tackles for loss which tied for third place on West Virginia's all-time list. In his final campaign in 2018, tied for the single-season program record with 19 tackles for loss.
• As a junior (2018), started all 12 games at Will linebacker and named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year by the coaches and the Associated Press. Garnered second-team All-America honors by the Associated Press and first-team All-Big 12 first-team accolades by the Associated Press. Led the team with 111 tackles, eight sacks and 19 tackles for loss. Finished with 10 or more tackles in six games.
• As a sophomore (2017), started nine games at Will linebacker after missing the first four games after sustaining preseason knee injury. Was the team's third-leading tackler with 76 stops, including four sacks, a team-best 16.5 tackles for loss, four passes defensed and a fumble recovery. Selected All-Big 12 Conference first team by ESPN, All-Big 12 Conference second team by Athlon Sports and All-Big 12 Conference honorable mention by the Coaches. Also named WVU Defensive Player of the Year.
• As a redshirt freshman (2016), played in 13 games with 10 starts and notched 65 tackles, two sacks, 4.5 tackles for loss and a forced fumble.
• As a freshman (2015), redshirted.
• Graduated in December 2018 with a multidisciplinary studies degree from West Virginia.
• Attended Winton Woods (Cincinnati, Ohio) High School and finished his career with 283 career tackles, six sacks and six interceptions.
• Selected Associated Press All-Ohio Division II honorable mention and Associated Press Southwest All-District First Team Division II linebacker.
• As a senior, tallied 110 tackles, 16 tackles for loss and three sacks.
• As a junior, totaled 88 tackles, one interception and one fumble recovery.
• As a sophomore, registered 81 tackles, a sack, two fumble recoveries and an interception.
• List of favorites: (TV show) "All American"; (movies) "Remember the Titans"; (musician) Lil Wayne; (meal) pasta; (dessert) lemon cake; (childhood sports team) LeBron James' teams - Cavaliers and Heat; and (hidden talent) Beatboxing.
• Follow Long on Twitter at @DavidLong.
• Follow Long on Instagram at @davidlongjr.
• Born David Lamont Long Jr. on Oct. 12, 1996 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Staying Faithful in Myself and in My Team | David Long Jr. Media Availability
Titans LB David Long Jr. addresses reporters during a Training Camp Press Conference on Monday at Ascension Saint Thomas Sports Park.
David Long Jr. at OTAs | Mic'd Up
Titans LB David Long Jr. was mic'd up during OTAs at Ascension Saint Thomas Sports Park.
I'm Still Growing into the Player I Want to Be | David Long Jr. Press Conference
Titans LB David Long Jr. addresses reporters on Tuesday during OTAs at Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Rally on the Runway | Community
Led by Tennessee Titans S Kevin Byard, players escorted childhood cancer fighters and survivors in fashion show to raise money for childhood cancer research during the 7th Annual Crew Aviation | Rally on the Runway.
Coming Into This Year, I Know My Role | David Long Jr. Player Interview
LB David Long Jr. addresses reporters on Monday, the opening day of the team's offseason program at Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Too Long to Throw Over! LB Picks Off McCarron Over the Middle | Game Highlights
Tennessee Titans linebacker David Long intercepts a pass from Atlanta Falcons quarterback AJ McCarron.
David Long, Jr.: We Need to Come Prepared
Titans linebacker David Long, Jr. speaks with reporters during a virtual press conference on Wednesday from Saint Thomas Sports Park.
David Long: The More I'm Out There, The Better I'll Be
Titans linebacker David Long speaks with reporters during a virtual press conference on Thursday from Saint Thomas Sports Park.
David Long: I Let the Game Come to Me
Titans linebacker David Long addresses reporters during a virtual press conference on Thursday from Saint Thomas Sports Park.
PFF 90 Club: Week 12
Here is every player with a Pro Football Focus grade of 90+ in Week 12 of the 2020 NFL season.
David Long Resembles Kam Chancellor on Bruising Third-Down Tackle
Tennessee Titans linebacker David Long resembles Seahawks legendary safety Kam Chancellor on bruising third-down tackle.
David Long: It's a Lot Different When the Pads Come On
Titans linebacker David Long speaks with reporters following Sunday's training camp practice at Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Titans LB David Long Jr. Plans to Be More of a Vocal Leader in Year 4
Being around for all of the team's offseason program – including all six OTAs so far – has allowed Long to establish himself even more. It's one of the reasons he loves working out with the team during the voluntary program.
Titans Move RB Darrynton Evans to 'Designated for Return' List, Place LB David Long on Reserve/COVID-19 List
This designation will open up a 21-day window for Evans to practice with the team, and he will not count against the team's 53-man roster until being activated from Injured Reserve.
Packing a Punch: Titans LB David Long Jr. Heads Into Second Season with Added Confidence
A sixth-round pick of the Titans in the 2019 NFL Draft out of West Virginia, Long racked up eight stops, including five solos, while starting in the team's playoff win at Baltimore last season. In the three playoff games, Long had 16 stops and two tackles for a loss, which came in the AFC Championship Game at Kansas City.
Thursday's Quick Hits: LB David Long's Improvement, Adoree' Jackson's Mindset and the Titans Injury Report
Titans cornerback Adoree' Jackson didn't practice on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, but he was a full participant in Thursday's practice and is ready to go for Saturday.
Titans Agree to Terms with Two Draft Picks -- Linebackers D'Andre Walker and David Long Jr.
The Titans rookies will take part in a minicamp this weekend at Saint Thomas Sports Park.