Titans Player Roster | Tennessee Titans - TennesseeTitans.com
PRO: The Titans selected Kevin Byard with the first pick of the third round in the 2016 NFL Draft, and he is now considered one of the top safeties in the NFL. Following his second season, during which he tied for the NFL lead in interceptions (eight) and led the NFL in total takeaways (10), he was named first-team Associated Press All-Pro and earned his first Pro Bowl berth. From 2017 through 2019, no player had more interceptions than Byard, who totaled 17. The 5-foot-11-inch, 212-pound defender was named a team captain for the defense for the first time in 2019. A product of Middle Tennessee State University, Byard has a reputation as a sideline-to-sideline, ball-hawking safety who plays with tremendous intelligence and effort.
• From 2017 through 2019, Byard led the NFL with 17 interceptions.
• In 2019, Byard led the team in interceptions (five) for the third consecutive season, while starting every contest for the third consecutive season.
• In 2018, Byard led the team with four interceptions and ranked third on the team with 96 tackles and 10 passes defensed.
• In 2017, Byard was named to the Pro Bowl and earned first-team Associated Press All-Pro honors after tying Detroit's Darius Slay for the NFL lead with eight interceptions. He added a pair of fumble recoveries to pace the league with 10 total takeaways.
• His eight interceptions in 2017 tied for seventh in franchise history and made up the highest total by any franchise player since Oilers cornerback Richard Johnson picked off eight passes in 1990.
• In 2016, Byard saw action in all 16 games with seven starts and compiled 63 tackles, a sack, five tackles for loss, three quarterback pressures, four passes defensed and 10 special teams tackles. His seven starts were the most by a Titans rookie safety since Michael Griffin (10) in 2007.
• In July 2020, Byard was named the official spokesperson for the United Way of Greater Nashville. His first order of business was to participate in the organization's virtual Stuff the Bus school supply drive.
• Byard credits his mother, Artina Stanley, for much of his success. Following a divorce when Byard was in ninth grade, his mother moved with the children from Philadelphia to Atlanta. Although it was a financial struggle, Stanley worked long hours to make sure her children received what they needed. Byard claims he and his older brother "had to grow up really fast" as they helped their mother with taking care of the younger kids in the family. In May 2020, Byard was able to accomplish a goal of helping to purchase his mother her "forever home."
• During the 2019 offseason, Byard hosted 200-plus youngsters at the inaugural Kevin Byard Football Camp at Ensworth School. He plans to hold the camp—which is free—every year.
• The Titans had an inside track in their scouting of Byard. Titans general manager Jon Robinson received glowing reports on Byard from his friend and MTSU recruiting coordinator Steve Ellis. When Robinson was a linebackers coach at Nicholls State, Ellis was one of his pupils, and the two remained close through the years. Additionally, Patrick Callaway, college scout for the Titans, was Byard's high school teammate.
• Byard says his football role models are Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins and Troy Polamalu.
• Byard has aspirations to travel the world, and his bucket list includes setting foot on every continent.
• The Lithonia, Ga., native was selected by the Titans in the third round (64th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft.
• During a four-year career at Middle Tennessee State, he appeared in 49 games and notched 46 starts at safety. He set school records with 19 career interceptions, 377 interception return yards and four interception returns for touchdowns. He finished sixth in MTSU history with 312 career tackles. In 49 career games, he had a hand in 25 turnovers (19 interceptions, five forced fumbles and one fumble recovery). Had 17 additional career passes defensed and five tackles for loss. He was twice named first-team All-Conference USA.
• As a senior (2015), appeared in 12 games with nine starts as a permanent team captain. Ranked fourth on the team with 66 tackles and led the squad with four interceptions and six additional pass breakups. Ranked second among safeties with 718 snaps played. Named first-team All-Conference USA for the second consecutive season. Against North Texas on Nov. 21, 2015, he set the Middle Tennessee State record with his 18th career interception. He picked off another pass the following week to finish his career with 19 interceptions.
• As a junior (2014), played and started all 12 games and led the team with six interceptions. Ranked fourth on the team with 66 tackles, including three tackles for loss, and added four pass breakups, two forced fumbles and a blocked kick. Ranked seventh nationally and first in Conference USA in interceptions. Played a team-high 980 snaps. Named first-team All-Conference USA.
• As a sophomore (2013), played and started all 13 games. Registered a career-best 106 tackles to finish second on the team. Led the team with five interceptions. Also finished with an additional five pass breakups, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. Equaled his own school mark with two interceptions returned for touchdowns. Led the team with 996 snaps played. Voted honorable mention All-Conference USA.
• As a redshirt freshman (2012), started all 12 games and led the team with four interceptions. Tied for third on the team with 74 tackles and added two pass breakups, two forced fumbles and a hurry. Equaled the school record with two interception returns for touchdowns and set the single-season record for interception return yards with 167. Led the entire team with 925 total snaps played and had 80 or more snaps four times. Named FWAA Freshman All-American, second-team All-SBC. Against Troy (11/24), forced three turnovers in win with two interceptions and a forced fumble to go with a pass breakup and six tackles. Second pick went for 77 yards and game-winning score late in fourth quarter. Named the SBC Defensive Player of the Week and the College Performance Awards National Defensive Back of the Week.
• As a freshman (2011), redshirted.
• Graduated in May 2015 with a degree in liberal studies.
• He splits time between Nashville and Lithonia, Ga., with his wife, Clarke, and their daughter, Eliana.
• Attended M.L. King (Lithonia, Ga.), where as a senior he totaled 94 tackles, two interceptions, two blocked punts, and two fumble recoveries on defense. On offense, he recorded 35 receptions for 723 yards and six touchdowns, as well as 245 rushing yards and two rushing touchdowns. Also returned 12 kickoffs for 350 yards and a touchdown.
• Voted Class AAAAA first-team all-state by the Atlanta Journal Constitution and the Associated Press. Earned all-region honors on offense and defense, while also garnering all-area and all-county accolades.
• Also lettered in track as a high school athlete.
• Byard has three brothers and three sisters and is the second oldest of the group.
• List of favorites: (TV show) "Martin"; (movie) "Wolf of Wall Street" and "Paid in Full"; (musician or band) Future; (food) Philadelphia cheesesteaks and hot wings; (childhood sports teams) Philadelphia 76ers; (athlete as a child) Allen Iverson; and (guilty pleasure) late-night snacks.
• Follow Byard on Twitter at @KB31Era.
• Follow Byard on Instagram at @kb31savage.
• Born Kevin Leon Byard Jr. on Aug. 17, 1993 in Philadelphia, Pa.
Kevin Byard's Community Impact | Nissan Insider
Mike Keith goes 1-on-1 with Titans All-Pro safety Kevin Byard in this week's 'Nissan Insider.'
Kevin Byard: We Have to Prepare as Best We Can
Titans safety Kevin Byard speaks with reporters during a virtual press conference on Wednesday.
Kevin Byard: I'm Happy We Won the Game
Titans safety Kevin Byard addresses reporters following Tennessee's 33-30 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars Sunday at Nissan Stadium.
Kevin Byard: I Try to Put Myself in Position to Make Plays
Titans safety Kevin Byard speaks with reporters during a virtual press conference on Wednesday from Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Melvin Gordon Fumbles, Jeffery Simmons Recovers for Titans
Tennessee Titans safety Kevin Byard gets hand on ball to force fumble, turnover.
Kevin Byard: The Expectation is to Win Every Single Game
Titans safety Kevin Byard speaks with reporters on Monday from Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Game Theory: Ranking All 32 Teams by Safety Strength
NFL Network's Cynthia Frelund ranks all 32 teams by the strength of their safeties heading into training camp.
Kevin Byard: We're Trying to be the NFL's Best Secondary
Titans safety Kevin Byard speaks with reporters during a virtual press conference on Monday.
Players who Just Missed the Cut on 'The Top 100 Players of 2020'
Watch and see which players just missed the cut for "The Top 100 Players of 2020."
'GMFB': Players Who Have the Right to Feel Slighted by their 'Top 100' Rankings
The "Good Morning Football" crew discusses players who have the right to feel slighted by their "NFL Top 100 Players of 2020" rankings.
Kevin Byard Reacts to Civil Unrest In United States
Tennessee Titans safety Kevin Byard joins "Good Morning Football" to discuss social justice issues, the Titans' 2019 season and the outlook for the team's 2020 season.
Kevin Byard Taking One Day at a Time as Season Approaches
Titans safety Kevin Byard discusses social injustice issues, the offseason program and upcoming season during a virtual press conference with reporters on Wednesday.
Kevin Byard Working Hard, Enjoying Time with Family
Titans safety Kevin Byard discusses his virtual offseason and life with his wife and baby daughter during a virtual conference call with reporters on Tuesday.
Kevin Byard: The Foundation is Definitely There
Titans safety Kevin Byard speaks with reporters Monday at Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Kevin Byard: What We Accomplished this Year is Nothing Short of Incredible
Titans safety Kevin Byard speaks with reporters following Tennessee's 35-24 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in Sunday's AFC Championship Game.
Kevin Byard: We Can't Get Caught Up in the Moment
Titans safety Kevin Byard speaks with reporters Wednesday at Saint Thomas Sports Park. The Titans play the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game Sunday (2:05 p.m., CT) at Arrowhead Stadium.
Momentum Changing Interceptions | Slow-Mo Monday
Titans safeties Kevin Byard and Kenny Vaccaro each record an interception against Ravens QB Lamar Jackson to thwart Baltimore scoring drives.
Kevin Byard: We Believe We Can Win Any Game We Play In
Titans safety Kevin Byard addresses reporters Monday at Saint Thomas Sports Park. The Titans play the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game Sunday (2:05 p.m., CT) at Arrowhead Stadium.
Kevin Byard on Formula for Upset Win: 'Playing with Poise, Ignoring the Noise'
NFL Network's Tiffany Blackmon catches up with Tennessee Titans safety Kevin Byard after his team's playoff win over the Baltimore Ravens.
31-yard INT Return for No. 31! Kevin Byard Picks off Lamar Jackson's Deflected Pass
Tennessee Titans safety Kevin Byard intercepts a pass from Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson.
Kevin Byard: We Need to Be Disciplined in Our Run Gaps
Titans safety Kevin Byard speaks with reporters Tuesday at Saint Thomas Sports Park. The Titans take on the Baltimore Ravens in Saturday's AFC Divisional playoff game (7:15 p.m., CT) at M&T Bank Stadium.
Kevin Byard: Getting Defensive Turnovers is Going to be Crucial
Titans safety Kevin Byard speaks with reporters Wednesday at Saint Thomas Sports Park. The Titans play the New England Patriots in a first-round AFC Wild Card matchup Saturday night at Gillette Stadium.
Kevin Byard: We'll Have to Play Our Best Ball Against Tom Brady
Titans safety Kevin Byard speaks with reporters following Sunday's 35-14 victory over the Houston Texans that punched Tennessee's ticket to the playoffs.
Super Dad: Titans Safety Kevin Byard Explains How He Delivered His Own Son at Family's Home
During a video conference call with reporters on Wednesday, Titans safety Kevin Byard went into great detail about how he delivered his own child last month.
Titans Safety Kevin Byard Has Given his Brain a New Workout this Offseason
NeuroTrainer is a futuristic, virtual reality-based system designed to help athletes train their minds for better performance. Byard, who has 17 interceptions over the past three seasons, has used it this offseason, and he hopes it will help him on the field this fall.
On July 4th Weekend, a Look at the Five Most Explosive Titans
The Titans had 30 plays of 30 yards or more from scrimmage in 2019, and some big-time playmakers led the way. Senior writer/editor Jim Wyatt ranks the team's five most explosive players.
Titans Teammates Kevin Byard, Rashaan Evans See Reasons for Hope in Search for Social Justice
Titans safety Kevin Byard, linebacker Rashaan Evans, and quarterback Ryan Tannehill all spoke on the subjects of police brutality and social injustice during a Zoom conference call on Wednesday.
Titans Safety Kevin Byard: "Love On One Another No Matter What Race You Are"
One day after Titans head coach Mike Vrabel said he's had a number of conversations with players in the wake of George Floyd's death in Minneapolis, and the protests that have followed across the country, Byard said those conversations have proven to be valuable, no matter how comfortable they might be.
A Day in the Quarantine Life of Titans QB Ryan Tannehill and Safety Kevin Byard
On Tuesday, Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill and safety Kevin Byard joined reporters on a Zoom conference call to give an update on what they've been up to in recent weeks. Each one was asked what a day looks like for them right now.
Titans Safety Kevin Byard Influenced a Pair of MTSU Players Set to Play in Super Bowl LIV
Chiefs defensive back Charvarius Ward and 49ers receiver/return man Richie James credit former MTSU star and Titans safety Kevin Byard for showing them the way to the NFL. On Sunday, they'll play in Super Bowl LIV.
Trip To Super Bowl City Provides Extra Motivation for a Pair of Titans Defenders
Titans safety Kevin Byard and linebacker Rashaan Evans crossed paths here at the Miami Beach Convention Center two days before the big game, one they were one win away from playing in.
Daddy's Duty: Proud New Father Kevin Byard Goes from Hospital Room to Titans Practice Field and Back
On Thursday morning – early Thursday morning – Titans safety Kevin Byard became a father. His wife gave birth to daughter Eliana Rose Byard, who arrived nearly a month early, weighing four pounds, 10 ounces. He was back at practice today on two hours sleep.
Titans Safety Kevin Byard on New Contract: "Nothing Has Changed But the Change"
A third-round draft pick by the Titans in 2016, safety Kevin Byard reflected on how far he's come one day after agreeing to terms on a new long-term deal with the team.
Titans Reach Multi-Year Deal With Safety Kevin Byard
In three seasons with the Titans, safety Kevin Byard has 246 tackles with 12 interceptions and 10 quarterback pressures
Star Treatment: Titans Safety Kevin Byard, Coach Mike Vrabel on Same Page After Discussion
Titans coach Mike Vrabel didn't like safety Kevin Byard celebrating in the star at Dallas on Monday night, and after speaking with him, he gets the point.
Titans Safety Kevin Byard Makes Game-Turning INT, and Celebrates in T.O.-Like Fashion
Titans safety Kevin Byard turned in a "Get Your Popcorn Ready" moment on Monday Night Football. Byard made the play of the game with a game-changing interception in the first quarter, and it provided a big spark in the team's 28-14 win over the Cowboys.
Philly Special? Titans Safety Kevin Byard to Family: "No Eagles Gear At All"
Kevin Byard grew up in Philadelphia, and a lot of his childhood memories involve the Eagles. The Titans safety said he's told family members not to wear green on Sunday at Nissan Stadium.
A Duck to a Dandy: Safety Kevin Byard Delivers Strike on Fake Punt in Titans Win
On center stage, Titans safety Kevin Byard took the snap, and lobbed a beautiful left-handed pass to Dane Cruikshank for the play of the day in Sunday's win over the Texans.
Observations from Tuesday's Titans OTA
TitansOnline.com Senior Writer and Editor Jim Wyatt gives his observations from Tuesday's OTA at Saint Thomas Sports Park.
WR Tajae Sharpe Ready to Contribute Again for Titans
Titans receiver Tajae Sharpe is back in the mix, and ready to contribute again in 2018. He's made a nice recovery from the foot injury that resulted in him being placed on Injured Reserve in 2017. A fifth-round draft pick by the team in 2016, Sharpe caught 41 passes for 522 yards and two touchdowns during his rookie season.
Six Things Standing Out Through First Wave of Titans OTAs
TitansOnline.com Senior Writer and Editor Jim Wyatt offers six things standing out through first wave of Titans OTAs.
Observations from Wednesday's Titans OTA
The Titans were on the field Wednesday for their fifth day of organized team activities. Here's a look at what stood out.
Five Observations from the Titans 5K
Roughly 2,000 runners/walkers participated in the Titans 5K presented by Academy Sports & Outdoors on Saturday morning at Nissan Stadium, including Titans players, coaches and GM Jon Robinson. Titans Online takes a look at some of the highlights of the day.
Titans' Late-Round Picks Familiar with Underdog Role
Titans general manager Jon Robinson has shown a penchant for picking players who've already overcome adversity. He's found two more in defensive back Dane Cruikshank and quarterback Luke Falk.
Busy Titans CB Adoree' Jackson Ready for Bigger Things
Adoree' Jackson led the Titans with 1,260 snaps in 2017 - playing on defense, special teams and even lining up on offense occasionally. Heading into this offseason, Jackson set his mind on getting geared up mentally and physically for Year 2. He hopes to take his game to another level.
Titans' Fuzzy First-Round Forecast a Sign of Progress
The predictions for the Titans' first-round selection tonight are all over the map, in part because Tennessee is entering this draft without glaring needs.
JDRF Event a Success, with Help of Titans GM Jon Robinson
The 2018 JDRF Promise Gala raised a record-breaking total of $1.825 million. The event, held at Nissan Stadium on Saturday night, was chaired by Titans general manager Jon Robinson and his wife, Jaimie.
Titans S Kevin Byard's 2019 Season
A look back at safety Kevin Byard's 2019 season that saw him lead the team for the third consecutive season and tie for fourth in the NFL with five interceptions. (Photos: Donald Page)
Kevin Byard, Campbell's Assist Bridge Ministry
Titans safety Kevin Byard partnered with Campbell's Chunky Soup to assist the Bridge Ministry in Nashville, Tenn. (Photos: Donald Page)
Kevin Byard Assists Families for Thanksgiving
Titans safety Kevin Byard and his Byard Family Legacy Fund teamed up with Eat Well Nashville and Cross Point Church to host a special Thanksgiving event for families in need in the greater Nashville community. (Photos: Donald Page)
Kevin Byard Distributes Shoes to Local Students
Titans safety Kevin Byard distributed new shoes and socks to over 300 students at Robert Churchwell Elementary School in Nashville, stressing the importance of making good grades. (Photos: Donald Page)
NFL 100: Titans-Browns Friday Flashback
Safety Kevin Byard recorded three interceptions and Ryan Succop's fourth field goal of the game in overtime gave the Titans a 12-9 victory in Week 7 of the 2017 season in Cleveland. (Photos: Donn Jones, AP)
Titans Safety Kevin Byard's 2018 Season
TitansOnline.com looks back at safety Kevin Byard's 2018 season. (AP Photos)
|3||@Vikings||W 31 - 30||4||1||3||0||1||0|
|2||Jaguars||W 33 - 30||2||1||1||0||0||0|
|6||Texans||W 42 - 36||8||6||2||0||0||0|
|1||@Broncos||W 16 - 14||9||8||1||0||1||1|
|5||Bills||W 42 - 16||2||2||0||0||1||0|