Titans Player Roster | Tennessee Titans - TennesseeTitans.com
PRO: Daren Bates is an athletic linebacker that has excelled on special teams coverage units during his NFL career. He joined the Titans in 2017 after spending time with the St. Louis Rams and Oakland Raiders. In 2018, he was named a Titans special teams captain for the first time. Bates, a former rookie free agent, will once again look to make his biggest impact as a core member of the Titans' special teams units and provide veteran depth in the linebacking corps.
• In 2018, Bates was a team captain (special teams) for the first time and tallied 10 special teams tackles.
• In 2017, Bates set a career high and ranked second on the team with 16 special teams tackles.
• Bates registered back-to-back seasons (2014-2015) of double-digit special teams tackles as a member of the St. Louis Rams.
• In 2018, Bates and NFL defensive end Armonty Bryant opened AstroKids Gym in Austin, Texas. The facility offers children's classes and camps based upon proprioceptive learning.
• Bates is a Memphis native and a huge Memphis Grizzlies fan.
• For the My Cause, My Cleats campaign, Bates has worn specially designed cleats featuring the words "American Heart Association" to raise awareness for the organization's life-saving mission. His mother, Weslynn Bates, was a heart transplant recipient and lived some wonderful years following her surgery. She sadly passed away in 2015 at the age of 56.
• Bates is a tattoo enthusiast and has 107 tattoos.
• The Memphis, Tenn., native was originally signed by St. Louis Rams as an undrafted free agent on May 9, 2013.
• Signed by Oakland Raiders as a free agent on March 14, 2016.
• Signed by the Titans as an unrestricted free agent on March 11, 2017.
• Appeared in 49 games during his career at Auburn, totaling 316 tackles. Registered six double-digit tackle games in his collegiate career.
• As a senior, appeared in 12 games and recorded 94 tackles, two sacks, an interception and a touchdown.
• As a junior, started all 13 games and led the team with 104 tackles. Finished fourth in the SEC with eight tackles per game. Notched five double-digit tackle efforts, including three in the last four games of the season. Ranked third on team with 8.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks and nine quarterback hurries.
• Moved to linebacker as a sophomore after playing safety as a freshman in 2009 and appeared in 12 games with nine starts. Ranked eighth on team with 48 tackles.
• As a freshman, started all 13 games at safety and totaled 70 tackles and one fumble recovery.
• Majored in philosophy at Auburn.
• Attended Olive Branch (Miss.) High School for his final high school campaign.
• As a senior, collected 90 tackles, four interceptions and had nearly 900 yards of total offense.
• Named to MHSAA All-Region 1 Class-5A team. Selected for the Commercial Appeal Shelby Metro All-Suburban team.
• Named BankPlus Player of the Week by the DeSoto Times following a 49-22 victory over Horn Lake in which he had 107 total yards and three touchdowns on offense and 10 tackles and one interception on defense.
• Played his freshman through junior years at Christian Brothers (Memphis, Tenn.) High School and was a two-time first-team Tennessee All-State safety.
• Follow Bates on Twitter at @DB5trey.
• Follow Bates on Instagram at @weslynnson56.
• Born Daren Weston Bates on Nov. 27, 1990 in Memphis, Tenn.