PRO: Since joining the Titans in 2009, Brett Kern has placed his name at the very top of most of the franchise's leaderboards at his position. He passed Craig Hentrich (861 punts) in 2020 as the organization's all-time leading punter and finished the season with 876 punts in a Titans uniform. He also concluded 2020 as the team's all-time career leader in gross punting average (45.9 yards), net punting average (40.8) and punts placed inside the 20 (355). Kern owns the top eight net punting seasons in franchise history and six of the team's top eight gross punting seasons. With 183 career games with the Titans through 2020, Kern ranked fourth in franchise history behind Bruce Matthews (296), Elvin Bethea (210) and Brad Hopkins (194). Kern's total is the most for any player during the franchise's "Titans era" (since 1999). When Kern was placed on injured reserve during the 2020 season, it ended his consecutive games played streak ended at 199 games, including his career with the Titans and Denver Broncos. His streak with the Titans ended at 177 consecutive games played, finishing as the second-longest streak in franchise history behind Bruce Matthews' 232 consecutive games from 1987 to 2001. Kern was named to three consecutive Pro Bowls from 2017 to 2019 and earned first team Associated Press All-Pro honors for the first time in 2019. Kern also has served as the team's holder on field goal and extra point attempts for his entire tenure. The University of Toledo product was acquired by the Titans during the 2009 season when he was claimed off waivers from the Denver Broncos.
• In 2020, Kern punted 37 times for a 45.8 gross average and a 41.5-yard net average with 22 punts placed inside the 20. Since the 1991 season, his 59.5 percent of punts placed inside the 20 in 2020 was the best of any player with at least 30 punts in a season.
• In 2019, Kern was named to the Pro Bowl for the third consecutive season, and he earned first-team Associated Press All-Pro honors for the first time in his career. His 37 punts inside the 20 led the NFL, and his 43.1-yard net average ranked second in team history.
• In 2018, Kern was named to the Pro Bowl for the second consecutive season. His 39 punts inside the 20-yard line on 74 attempts established a franchise record and a career high. He finished the season with a career-long streak of 16 consecutive punts placed inside the 20, including every punt in the final three games of the season.
• In 2017, Kern's gross punting average (49.7) ranked eighth in NFL history and was the highest of any player since 2012. His net punting average (44.6) ranked second in NFL history. He was named to his first career Pro Bowl and was selected second-team Associated Press All-Pro after leading the NFL with a career-high and franchise-best 49.7 gross average and a career-best and franchise-high 44.6 net average.
• In 2016, Kern placed 41.6 percent of his punts inside the opponent's 20-yard line (32 of 77), which at the time ranked second in his career (42.2 in 2009).
• In 2015, Kern launched a career-high tying 88 punts to become the second-leading punter (career punts) in franchise history. He placed a then-career-high 34 punts inside the 20 with only one touchback (career low). He also accomplished a first-of-its-kind feat, becoming the first punter in NFL history to record 80 or more punts, a net average of 40 yards, and one or zero touchbacks in a single season.
• In 2014, Kern booted 88 total punts for a gross average of 46.8 yards and a net average of 40.8 yards, which broke his own single-season team record (40.4-yard net average in 2012).
• In 2013, Kern established then-career benchmarks with 32 punts inside the 20-yard line and only two touchbacks.
• Kern arguably had his most productive season in 2012 when he ranked fifth in the AFC with what at the time was a franchise record and career-best 47.6 gross punt average. He also finished ninth in the AFC with a then-franchise record 40.4 net punting average.
• In 2009, Kern's combined average of 45.5 yards per punt with the Titans and Broncos ranked eighth in the NFL.
• In 2008, Kern ranked fifth in the league with a 46.7-yard punting average and was named to the All-Rookie team by Pro Football Weekly/PFWA and the Sporting News.
• Kern's father, Cal, is a former professional soccer goalie.
• Kern is an avid golfer that sports a +1 handicap. He picked the game up late in his high school years and caddied for three summers at Inverness Golf Club while in college. The course is located in Toledo, Ohio, and has hosted PGA and NCAA Championships. In 2011, Kern competed in The Vinny, a local golf fundraising tournament hosted by singers Vince Gill and Amy Grant, and finished fourth in the event.
• The Grand Island, N.Y., native was originally signed by the Denver Broncos as a rookie free agent on April 28, 2008.
• Claimed by the Titans off waivers from the Broncos on Oct. 27, 2009.
• Played 47 career games at the University of Toledo, punting 189 times for 7,994 yards (42.3 avg.) with 59 punts placed inside the 20-yard line.
• Ranked second in the nation in gross punting average (46.1 yds., 52 punts for 2,399 yards) and was a finalist for the Ray Guy Award (nation's best punter) as a senior.
• Earned third team All-America honors as a senior as the only player from the Mid-American Conference to receive Associated Press All-America honors.
• Named Mid-American Conference's Special Teams Player of the Year as a senior.
• Earned a bachelor's degree in geography from Toledo and posted a 3.38 grade point average while earning CoSIDA second-team academic all-district recognition as a senior.
• Married to Tiffany Kern and the couple has a son, Bryce Jeremiah, and two daughters, Anelle Naomi and Quinn Eliana.
• Was a two-time first-team all-state selection at Grand Island High School in Grand Island, N.Y., and averaged 39 yards per punt as a senior and 42.5 yards per punt as a junior.
• Also played basketball and was a long jumper and high hurdler on the track team in high school.
• List of favorites: (movie) "Shooter"; (TV show) "Gold Rush"; (music artist) LeCrae, Thousand Foot Krutch, KB, tobyMac; (school subject) geography; (car) 1969 Dodge Charger; (video game) "FIFA," "Tiger Woods PGA Golf"; (food) spaghetti; and (book) the Bible.
• Follow Kern on Twitter and on Instagram at @brettkern6.
• Born Brett Alan Kern on Feb. 17, 1986, in Grand Island, N.Y.
Brett Kern a Great Weapon for Titans | Nissan Insider
Titans All-Pro punter Brett Kern discusses how he approaches each game as a weapon for the Titans in this week's 'Nissan Insider.'
Brett Kern: We Go from Zero to 100 Pretty Quick
Titans punter Brett Kern speaks with reporters following Sunday's training camp practice at Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Brett Kern and Beau Brinkley Tackle Fan Questions
Titans fans submit their questions, and punter Brett Kern and long snapper Beau Brinkley deliver in this edition of 'Ask the Titans.'
NFL's Best 4th Down Conversions of 2019
Watch the best fourth-down conversions from the 2019 NFL season.
Brett Kern Mic'd Up at 2020 Pro Bowl Practice | Tennessee Titans
Listen in on mic'd up Titans punter Brett Kern during Pro Bowl practice this week in Orlando, Fla.
Kid Reporter Bryce Kern on Scene at 2020 Pro Bowl
Bryce Kern, son of Titans punter Brett Kern, interviews 2020 Pro Bowlers prior to Sunday's NFL all-star game in Orlando, Fla.
Tony Romo Predicts Titans' Epic Fake Punt Call
Tennessee Titans punter Brett Kern completes a pass to defensive back Amani Hooker on a fake punt for a first down.
Can't-Miss Punt! Brett Kern Pins Pats at 1-yard Line with Punt of the Year
Tennessee Titans punter Brett Kern punts 58 yards to the 1-yard line.
Brett Kern on Making Pro Bowl: I Never Take it for Granted
Titans punter Brett Kern speaks with reporters Wednesday at Saint Thomas Sports Park. The Titans take on the New Orleans Saints in Week 16 Sunday at Nissan Stadium.
Fake Punt Alert: Brett Kern Hits Kevin Byard for Fourth-Down Conversion
Fake punt alert! Tennessee Titans punter Brett Kern hits Titans safety Kevin Byard in the flat for an early fourth-down conversion.
1-on-1 with Titans Punter Brett Kern
"Voice of the Titans" Mike Keith goes 1-on-1 with Titans punter Brett Kern.
1-on-1 with Punter Brett Kern
"Voice of the Titans" Mike Keith goes 1-on-1 with punter Brett Kern.
Brett Kern Reflects on His First Pro Bowl Experience
Tennessee Titans punter Brett Kern reflects on his experience at the 2018 Pro Bowl following the game at Camping World Stadium.
In His Words: Brett Kern on Making the Playoffs
Tennessee Titans punter Brett Kern talks about making the playoffs for the first time.
Titans are Happy for Brett Kern and His Pro Bowl Nod
Ryan Succop, Taylor Lewan, Jurrell Casey, and Mike Mularkey talk about why the Tennessee Titans are so proud of punter Brett Kern and his selection to the 2018 Pro Bowl.
Brett Kern: It Feels Great To Be Recognized
Tennessee Titans punter Brett Kern addresses reporters following Wednesday's practice at Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Titans & Top Golf: A Friendly Bet
Tennessee Titans kicker Ryan Succop and punter Brett Kern compete against each other at Top Golf Crush.
Titans in 2017: Special Teams
Amie Wells and "Voice of the Titans" Mike Keith take a look at who might contribute to the Tennessee Titans special teams unit in 2017.
Behind the Flame: Punter Brett Kern
Get to know Tennessee Titans punter Brett Kern in this week's edition of "Behind the Flame."
Free Agency Update: Kern and Brinkley
Amie Wells catches up with Titans punter Brett Kern and long snapper Beau Brinkley as they signed their contracts at Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Timeout with Brett Kern
Amie Wells catches up with Titans players each week to discuss their contributions in the previous game.
A Titan, a Titans Superfan, and Nashville Healthcare Heroes: Super Bowl LV Through the Eyes of Middle Tennesseans
TennesseeTitans.com takes a look at Super Bowl LV through the eyes of those who were there – Titans punter Brett Kern and his son, Titans superfan Brandon Galloway, named the NFL's Fan of the Year by the NFL, and Sharon Alvarez and Wes Frisbee, two healthcare workers from Nashville who were among four local healthcare workers invited by the Titans and the NFL.
Titans Activate Punter Brett Kern from Reserve/COVID-19 List While Also Making Other Moves
Also on Saturday, the Titans activated kicker Sam Sloman and outside linebacker Brooks Reed from the practice squad for Sunday's game. Both players will revert to the practice squad on Monday.
Titans Place Punter Brett Kern on Reserve/COVID-19 List
The Reserve/COVID-19 list was created for a player who either tests positive for COVID-19 or who has been quarantined after having been in close contact with an infected person or persons. Clubs may not disclose whether the player is in quarantine or is positive for COVID-19.
Titans Activate Punter Brett Kern from Injured Reserve, While Also Activating LB David Long from Reserve/COVID-19 List
The Titans also activated cornerback Tye Smith from Injured Reserve while also promoted long snapper Matt Overton to the active roster.
Titans Place LB Jayon Brown and LT Ty Sambrailo on Injured Reserve While Making Several Other Roster Moves
The Titans on Tuesday also moved punter Brett Kern, cornerback Kristian Fulton and cornerback Tye Smith to the team's "Designated for Return" list.
Titans Make 12 Roster Moves Before Sunday's Game vs Bears
Among the moves: The Titans signed veteran punter Ryan Allen on Saturday while placing punter Brett Kern on Injured Reserve.
Titans Punter Brett Kern's Stock Keeps Going Up as He Heads Into 13th NFL Season
Kern, named first-team All-Pro by the Associated Press in 2019 in addition to being named to his third straight Pro Bowl, is set to begin his 13th NFL season – his 12th with the Titans. Kern led the NFL with 37 kicks placed inside the 20-yard line in 2019, and he led the AFC with a 47.1 gross average.
Titans Punter Brett Kern Enjoying Father-Son Time Once Again at His Third Pro Bowl
Kern, named first-team All-Pro by the Associated Press, is back at the Pro Bowl following a season when he the NFL with 37 kicks placed inside the 20-yard line, and led the AFC with a 47.1 gross average.
Titans RB Derrick Henry, P Brett Kern Selected to Pro Bowl
The Titans have also been informed six other players (in no particular order) are alternates – quarterback Ryan Tannehill, defensive lineman Jurrell Casey, safety Kevin Byard, cornerback Logan Ryan, guard Rodger Saffold and long snapper Beau Brinkley.
Titans Punter Brett Kern's First NFL Game? "The Comeback"
Punter Brett Kern returns home this weekend when the Titans face the Bills.
Titans Open Door for Talented Undrafted Free Agents
The Titans' biggest undrafted free-agent class in over a decade features quality as well as quantity. A small draft class means they may have more opportunity to make the NFL roster.
Five Observations from the Titans 5K
Roughly 2,000 runners/walkers participated in the Titans 5K presented by Academy Sports & Outdoors on Saturday morning at Nissan Stadium, including Titans players, coaches and GM Jon Robinson. Titans Online takes a look at some of the highlights of the day.
How Football Changed Titans Kicker Ryan Succop's Life
Ryan Succop had to be talked into going out for his high school's football team. After signing a five-year contract extension with the Titans on Tuesday, Succop discussed his journey from high school to the NFL.
Titans Add Assistant Coaches to Mike Vrabel's Staff
One day after announcing the team's new offensive (Matt LaFleur) and defensive (Dean Pees) coordinators, the Titans have announced several additions to head coach Mike Vrabel's coaching staff.
How the Titans Did in Sunday's Pro Bowl
Six Titans took part Sunday's Pro Bowl here at Camping World Stadium. Here's a look at how the Titans did in the contest:
Titans ST Ace Brynden Trawick Praised by Peers at Pro Bowl
Titans special teams ace Brynden Trawick led the team with 17 tackles while playing on coverage teams. He didn't make the top 10 in fan voting, but recognition from players and coaches got him to the Pro Bowl.
Titans LT Taylor Lewan, Daughter Taking Flight at Pro Bowl
Titans left tackle Taylor Lewan is at the Pro Bowl for the second year in a row. Here this week, he talked about the experience, his new head coach, his six-month-old daughter, and the possibility of catching more TD passes.
Titans Punter Brett Kern Enjoying Football, Family at Pro Bowl
Titans punter Brett Kern led the NFL in punting average (49.7) and net average (44.6) in 2017. This week, he's enjoying his first trip to the Pro Bowl. Meanwhile, his oldest daughter is fired up to see the princesses from "Frozen."
Titans Players Discuss New Coach Mike Vrabel at Pro Bowl
At the Pro Bowl on Wednesday, several Titans discussed the hiring of new head coach Mike Vrabel.
Titans FS Kevin Byard, ST Brynden Trawick Named to Pro Bowl
Titans safety Kevin Byard and special teams ace Brynden Trawick are headed to the Pro Bowl. They'll join teammates Jurrell Casey, Taylor Lewan, Brett Kern and Delanie Walker in the all-star game on January 28 in Orlando, Florida.
Titans TE Delanie Walker Named to Pro Bowl Team
Titans tight end Delanie Walker has been added to the Pro Bowl team. He'll join teammates Jurrell Casey, Taylor Lewan and Brett Kern in the all-star game on January 28 in Orlando, Florida.
Titans Safety Kevin Byard Named First Team All-Pro
Titans safety Kevin Byard has been named first-team All-Pro by the Associated Press. Titans punter Brett Kern was named second-team All-Pro.
Glennon's Take: Titans Building a Winning Culture
After going seven seasons with just one winning record, the Titans have now produced back-to-back winning seasons and a playoff berth. The new generation of Titans now goes on the field expecting to win games.
Glennon's Take: Six Key Questions Facing the Titans
The Titans will return to the playoffs for the first time since 2008 on Saturday, when they take on AFC West champion Kansas City. Tennessee will be looking for its first postseason win since the Titans beat Baltimore in 2004.
Titans Players in the 2020 Pro Bowl
Check out Titans players in action Sunday at the 2020 Pro Bowl in Orlando, Fla. (Photos: Donald Page)
Top 25 Photos | Titans at 2020 Pro Bowl
Check out team photographer Donald Page's Top 25 photos of Titans players at the 2020 Pro Bowl.
Titans Punter Brett Kern's 2019 Pro Bowl Season
Titans Online looks back at punter Brett Kern's 2019 Pro Bowl season that saw him register a 47.1-yard average, 43.1-yard net average, and down 37 punts inside the 20-yard line with only two touchbacks. (Photos: Donald Page)
Day 3 of 2019 Titans Caravan: Sparta and Mt. Juliet
Ryan Succop, Brett Kern, Jayon Brown, Rashaan Evans and Sharif Finch headlined Day 3 of the 2019 Academy Sports + Outdoors Titans Caravan in Sparta and Mt. Juliet, Tenn. (Photos: Susanna Nickel)
Titans Punter Brett Kern's 2018 Pro Bowl Season
TitansOnline.com looks back at punter Brett Kern's Pro Bowl season in 2018. (AP Photos)
Photo Recap: Brett Kern's 2015 Season
TitansOnline.com looks back at P Brett Kern's 2015 season. (AP Photos)
Brett Kern, Beau Brinkley Sign Contracts
Titans Online caught up with punter Brett Kern and long snapper Beau Brinkley as they signed their contracts at Saint Thomas Sports Park. (Photos: Gary Glenn)
Punter Brett Kern's 2014 Season
Titans Online looks back at the 2014 season of veteran punter Brett Kern. (AP Photos)
|WK||OPP||RESULT||Punts||Yds||Net Yds||Lng||Avg||Net Avg||Blk||OOB||Dn||In 20||TB||FC||RET||RetY||TD|
|1||Cardinals||L 13 - 38||3||151||127||59||50.3||42.3||0||1||0||0||0||0||2||24||0|
|SEASON||TEAM||G||GS||Punts||Yds||Net Yds||Lng||Avg||Net Avg||Blk||OOB||Dn||In 20||TB||FC||RET||RetY||TD|