PRO: The Titans selected Jonnu Smith in the third round (100th overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-3-inch, 248-pound tight end participated in every game as a rookie and ranked fifth among rookie tight ends in receptions (18). In 2018, he set then single-season career highs in every receiving category before having his second season cut short due to a knee injury. Smith played a pivotal role in the Titans' playoff berth in 2019, amassing career-highs with 35 receptions and 439 receiving yards. The Florida International product possesses the ability to flash after the catch and has the speed to attack all three levels of the field. He is also known for his strength and willingness to block in the run game.
• In 2019, Smith ranked fourth on the team with a career-best 35 receptions, third on the squad with a career-high 439 receiving yards and tied a career-best with three receiving touchdowns.
• In 2018, Smith set then single-season career highs in receptions (20), receiving yards (258), receiving long (61t), and receiving touchdowns (3) despite missing the final three contests due to injury. His three receiving touchdowns ranked second on the squad.
• During the 2017 regular season, Smith was one of three rookie tight ends to appear in all 16 games (Gerald Everett and David Njoku) and one of two rookie tight ends with at least 13 starts (O.J. Howard). His 18 receptions, which resulted in 157 yards and two touchdowns, ranked fifth among all rookie tight ends.
• Smith finished his career as Florida International's all-time leader for tight ends in receptions and receiving yards. Smith ended his career ranking fourth on the school's career receptions list and fifth on the program's receiving yardage list. His 18 career receiving touchdowns rank third in school annals.
• As a sophomore (2014), led all college tight ends with 61 receptions, 710 receiving yards and eight touchdown catches.
• Smith credits his mother, Karen, for his successes. Jonnu's father passed away as a result of a tow truck accident when he was four years old and his mother raised all six children by herself. "My mother is my rock. It was tough, but we always got what we needed—not necessarily what we wanted all the time—but what we needed. She was so strong all the time."
• Smith endured a lot of challenges as a youngster in Philadelphia and after his brother was arrested and one of his friends was killed on the streets, a decision needed to be made. His family didn't have the financial means to just uproot, so for his own safety Jonnu moved in with his mother's sister and brother-in-law, Darla and Mike Kirkland, in Ocala, Fla. He started playing high school football and even though he was far from a touted recruit, he earned a scholarship to Florida International where his play took off.
• Smith's best friend Willie "Quasim" Jefferson tragically died from a gun shot in October 2016. Jonnu gave his son the middle name Quasim in honor of him.
• The Philadelphia, Pa., native was selected by the Titans in the third round (100th overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft.
• In four seasons at Florida International (2013-16), Smith appeared in 43 career games and tallied 178 receptions for 2,001 yards with 18 touchdowns.
• As a senior (2016), started in 11 games for the Panthers and was a second team, All-Conference USA honoree. Caught 42 passes for 506 yards and four touchdowns. Became the fifth player in Florida International history to register over 2,000 yards receiving during a career (2,001 yards). Finished his career registering at least one reception in every game he played (43-straight – second-most in school history).
• As a junior (2015), started eight games for the Panthers and recorded 36 catches for 397 yards and four touchdowns. Finished fourth on the team in receptions, third in receiving yards and second in receiving touchdowns. Missed the final four games of the season due to injury.
• As a sophomore (2014), appeared and started in all 12 games for the Panthers and earned first team All-Conference USA honors. Led Florida International with 710 yards on 61 catches and eight touchdowns. Also led all tight ends nationally in touchdowns, receiving yards and receptions. Set the school record for tight ends in receiving yards, touchdowns and receptions and his eight receiving touchdowns broke the previous school season-best of seven set by T.Y. Hilton (2008, 2011) and Cory McKinney (2002). The 710 receiving yards ranked seventh all-time at FIU for a season and his 61 catches were tied for fourth in a single year.
• As a freshman (2013), started all 12 games as a true freshman and earned All-Conference USA honorable mention honors as well as a spot on the league's All-Freshmen team. Led all Florida International players with 39 receptions for 388 yards and was the only FIU receiver to have a catch in all 12 games. Either led or tied for the team-lead in receptions or receiving yards in eight of 12 games. Was the first true freshman to lead the team in receptions and receiving yards since T.Y. Hilton in 2008.
• Majored in liberal studies at Florida International.
• Has a son, Jaiyen.
• Attended West Port (Ocala, Fla.) High School and was named to the 2012 Ocala Star Banner All-County first team and the 2012 Florida Athletic Coaches Association All-District 7 Football team.
• As a senior, posted a team leading 34 catches for 517 yards and two touchdowns.
• As a junior, notched nine receptions for 101 yards and two touchdowns.
• Also competed in weightlifting, finishing second in the county in the 219-pound weight class.
• List of favorites: (movie) all the "Halloween" Michael Myers' films; (TV show) "Stranger Things"; (musician or band) Meek Mill; (food) chicken and shrimp alfredo; (guilty pleasure) Swedish fish; (sports team as a child) Philadelphia Eagles and (athlete as a child) LeBron James.
• Follow Smith on Twitter at @EasyMoney_87.
• Follow Smith on Instagram at @jonnusmith87.
• Born Jonnu Andre Smith on Aug. 22, 1995 in Philadelphia, Pa.
Jonnu Smith: Continue Building on that Confidence
Titans tight end Jonnu Smith addresses reporters during a virtual press conference on Thursday from Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Jonnu Smith: Short-term Memory
Titans tight end Jonnu Smith speaks with reporters following Tennessee's loss to the Green Bay Packers Sunday at Lambeau Field.
Jonnu Smith's Scooping TD Grab Puts Titans on the Board Just Before Half
Tight end Jonnu Smith puts the Tennessee Titans on the scoreboard against the Green Bay Packers with a 12-yard touchdown from quarterback Ryan Tannehill.
Jonnu Smith: We Take Our Role With Pride
Titans tight end Jonnu Smith speaks with reporters during a virtual press conference on Thursday from Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Jonnu Smith: Start Fast, Finish Fast
Titans tight end Jonnu Smith addresses reporters during a virtual press conference on Friday from Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Jonnu Smith Sells Run, Comes Open for TD to Cap Titans' Opening Drive
Tennessee Titans tight end Jonnu Smith sells run, comes open for touchdown to cap the Titans' opening drive.
In the Booth: Jonnu Smith's 1-yard Rushing TD
Watch "Voice of the Titans' Mike Keith's call on tight end Jonnu Smith's 1-yard rushing touchdown that gave the Titans a 17-10 lead over the Colts in the second quarter in Week 10 at Nissan Stadium.
Jonnu Smith Rushes for a 1-Yard Touchdown vs. Indianapolis Colts
Tennessee Titans tight end Jonnu Smith punctuates walk-in TD on jet sweep with aerial celebration.
Jonnu Smith Catches for a 2-Yard Touchdown vs. Chicago Bears
Tennessee Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill throws a 2-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jonnu Smith.
Tannehill Finds Wide Open Jonnu Smith for 30-Yard Catch and Run
Tennessee Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill throws a 30-yard pass to tight end Jonnu Smith.
Jonnu Smith: We Have to Take Advantage of Our Opportunities
Titans tight end Jonnu Smith speaks with reporters during a virtual press conference on Thursday from Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Jonnu Smith: Each Week Comes with its Own Challenges
Titans tight end Jonnu Smith speaks with reporters during a virtual press conference on Wednesday from Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Jonnu Smith: We Need to Continue to Have a Growth Mindset
Titans tight end Jonnu Smith addresses reporters following Tennessee's 42-16 victory over the Buffalo Bills Tuesday night at Nissan Stadium.
Ryan Tannehill Tosses 7-yard Touchdown Pass to Jonnu Smith
Tennessee Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill fakes out Micah Hyde on improv TD to Jonnu Smith.
Ryan Tannehill Tosses 4-yard Touchdown Pass to Jonnu Smith
Tennessee Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill dots tight end Jonnu Smith at the goal line for TD.
PFF 90 Club: Highest-Graded Players of Week 3
Every player with a PFF grade of 90+ in Week 3 of the NFL season
Jonnu Smith on Ryan Tannehill: 'I'm Glad to be Catching Passes from Him'
Tennessee TItans TE Jonnu Smith joins "Good Morning Football" to discuss the Titans' Super Bowl expectations, QB Ryan Tannehill and his looming contract extension.
Jonnu Smith: We Have a Standard We Set on Offense
Titans TE Jonnu Smith addresses reporters following Tennessee's 33-30 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars Sunday at Nissan Stadium.
Jonnu Smith Catches 4-yard Touchdown vs. Jaguars
Tight end Jonnu Smith catches his second touchdown pass of the day, this one from four yards out to give Tennessee a 21-7 lead late in the first half at Nissan Stadium.
Jonnu Smith Makes Spectacular 63-yard Catch and Run vs. Jaguars
Tight end Jonnu Smith hauls in a 63-yard pass from Ryan Tannehill to set up Tennessee's first touchdown of the game.
Jonnu Smith Has Always Had TE1 Mentality | Nissan Insider
"Voice of the Titans" Mike Keith visits with starting tight end Jonnu Smith in this week's "Nissan Insider."
Titans' Play-Fake Opens up Jonnu Smith for Clutch Fourth-Down TD
Tennessee Titans' play-fake opens up tight end Jonnu Smith for clutch fourth-down touchdown.
Titans TEs Coach Todd Downing Helping Fight for Equality as His Tight Ends Fight for Touchdowns
Downing started an initiative to raise money for 'The 100 Black Men of Middle Tennessee, Inc.', a non-profit organization providing resources to further the academic and social development of black male students in Nashville and surrounding Middle Tennessee. With each touchdown by a Titans tight end this season, his family is donating $1,000 to help with the pursuit of equality.
Tight End Jonnu Smith Steps Up Big for Titans in Sunday's Win
Smith caught a 63-yard pass from quarterback Ryan Tannehill on the first offensive play of the game, and he capped off the drive with a touchdown catch. It was one of two scores for Smith, a player Titans head coach Mike Vrabel never hesitates to praise.
Titans OLB Harold Landry Saves the Day with Game-Clinching Interception
Landry's late-game interception was the defensive play of the day for the Titans, who also got a first quarter interception from rookie cornerback Kristian Fulton and sacks from safety Kenny Vaccaro and defensive lineman Jack Crawford.
Out of the Shadow: Titans TE Jonnu Smith Wants to Keep Making a Name for Himself
Smith, a third-round draft pick by the Titans in the 2017 NFL Draft, is coming off the best season of his career. Smith caught 35 passes for 439 yards and three touchdowns last season, along with three touchdowns. He made a memorable touchdown catch in the corner of the end zone in an AFC Divisional playoff contest at Baltimore.
On July 4th Weekend, a Look at the Five Most Explosive Titans
The Titans had 30 plays of 30 yards or more from scrimmage in 2019, and some big-time playmakers led the way. Senior writer/editor Jim Wyatt ranks the team's five most explosive players.
Jonnu Smith Ready to Accept Challenge as "Tight End 1" for the Titans
Smith has been working out on a regular basis in South Florida with Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill.
Painful Memory? Titans TE Jonnu Smith Appreciates Derrick Henry's 99-Yard Run Despite His Serious Injury on Play
Titans TE Jonnu Smith suffered a serious knee injury while making a key block on running back Derrick Henry's 99-yard run vs. the Jaguars last December.
Titans Remove K Ryan Succop, TE Jonnu Smith From PUP List
Ryan Succop and Jonnu Smith passed a physical on Monday. They spent the offseason recovering from injuries, working on a side field and inside Saint Thomas Sports Park under the supervision of trainers and coaches.
Titans TE Jonnu Smith Aims to Take Next Step in Year 3
Jonnu Smith caught 20 passes for 258 yards and three touchdowns in 2018, including a 63-yard touchdown when he showed off his speed on a Monday Night Football grab and go in Houston.
Titans TE Jonnu Smith Keeping Things In Perspective After Season-Ending Injury
Titans tight end Jonnu Smith was placed on Injured Reserve on Tuesday, ending his 2018 season. But Smith isn't wasting any time feeling sorry for himself.
Titans Place TE Jonnu Smith, RT Jack Conklin on Injured Reserve; Team Adds TE Wick, OL Pasztor to 53-Man Roster
The Titans have placed tight end Jonnu Smith and right tackle Jack Conklin on Injured Reserve. Both players were injured in Thursday's game against the Jaguars.
Quick Hits from the Titans on Thursday: Jonnu Smith's Emergence, Malcolm Butler's Outlook, and the Injury Report
Titans TE Jonnu Smith has played a lot of snaps this season, but he hasn't had a lot of opportunities to catch the football. On Monday against the Cowboys, Smith was targeted twice, and he made a pair of big catches.
Following Loss of Delanie Walker, Titans TE Jonnu Smith Ready for Bigger Role
Titans tight end Jonnu Smith, a third-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, received some words of encouragement from Delanie Walker as he prepares for a bigger role.
Training Camp Preview: Breaking Down the Tight End Position for Titans
Titans Online is taking a look at each position group leading up to training camp. Today, we're looking at the tight end position for the Titans.
Titans TE Jonnu Smith Readies for Change and Challenge
The former third-round draft pick put together a solid rookie season, catching 18 passes. He's preparing now for a new role and learning a second offense in as many years.
Titans Mailbag: Jim Wyatt Answers Questions from Fans
TitansOnline.com Senior Writer and Editor Jim Wyatt tackles your questions in his latest installment of "Ask Jim."
Observations from Tuesday's Titans OTA
TitansOnline.com Senior Writer and Editor Jim Wyatt gives his observations from Tuesday's OTA at Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Observations from Wednesday's Titans OTA
The Titans were on the field Wednesday for their fifth day of organized team activities. Here's a look at what stood out.
LaFleur's Role Revitalizing Rams Should Encourage Titans
The Titans' new offensive coordinator presided over some huge offensive gains by a number of Rams players when he was in Los Angeles last season. Here's a look at how that might relate to his work with the Titans' receivers and quarterback.
Titans Caravan 2018 Schedule Announced
The Titans have announced the complete itinerary for the Academy Sports + Outdoors Titans Caravan, a regional series of free, public autograph signings. The Caravan will make 18 total stops in Tennessee, Kentucky and Alabama from April 28 through May 5.
Titans OC Matt LaFleur Talks Mariota, Henry and What's Ahead
The Titans kicked off their offseason program this week, and new Titans offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur is getting to his players better. On Friday, in an interview with 104.5-FM's "Midday 180" he discussed quarterback Marcus Mariota while sharing his thoughts on several other topics.
ESPN's Mel Kiper's Three-Round Draft for Titans
ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. has posted a three-round mock draft for all 32 NFL teams, including the Titans. Kiper has the Titans taking a tight end, an offensive lineman and a receiver in the first three rounds.
Titans Owner, GM, HC Talk Marcus Mariota, Team Bonding
The Titans are scheduled to report for the start of the offseason program next Monday, and it will mark the first time the 2018 Titans come together as a team. Even before then, Titans controlling owner Amy Adams Strunk, general manager Jon Robinson and new head coach Mike Vrabel have liked some things they've seen from afar.
Members of Titans Secondary Bonding with Offseason Work
Members of the team's secondary have been training together all over the Middle Tennessee area, doing just about everything imaginable. It's all part of a body strengthening, team bonding offseason the players hope will pay off in 2018 and beyond.
Titans TE Jonnu Smith's 2019 Season
Titans Online looks back at tight end Jonnu Smith's 2019 season (Photos: Donald Page)
Titans Encourage Students at H.G. Middle School
Titans tight ends Delanie Walker, Jonnu Smith, Anthony Firkser and MyCole Pruitt encourage students at H.G. Middle School on Titans Tuesday, stressing the importance of the NFL's 'Play 60' program. (Photos: Donald Page)
Day 9 of 2019 Titans Caravan: Chattanooga
Corey Levin, Dee Liner and Jonnu Smith headlined Day 9 of the Academy Sports + Outdoors Titans Caravan in Chattanooga and Murfreesboro. (Photos: Susanna Nickel)
Day 6 of 2019 Titans Caravan: Nashville
Rashaan Evans, Dane Cruikshank, Sharif Finch, Jonnu Smith, Corey Davis and Jayon Brown headlined Day 6 of the 2019 Academy Sports + Outdoors Titans Caravan in Nashville (Photos: Susanna Nickell)
Day 5 of 2019 Titans Caravan: Nashville, Spring Hill
Marcus Mariota, Jonnu Smith and Rashaan Evans headlined Day 5 of the 2019 Academy Sports + Outdoors Titans Caravan in Nashville and Spring Hill. (Photos: Susanna Nickel, Jim Wyatt)
Day 4 of 2019 Titans Caravan: Jackson and Dickson
Jurrell Casey, Rashaan Evans, Sharif Finch, Jonnu Smith and Damon Webb headlined Day 4 of the 2019 Academy Sports + Outdoors Titans Caravan in Jackson and Dickson, Tenn. (Photos: Susanna Nickel)
|17||@Texans||W 41 - 38||1||8||8||8||0|
|16||@Packers||L 14 - 40||3||30||10||12||1|
|15||Lions||W 46 - 25||5||52||10.4||19||0|
|14||@Jaguars||W 31 - 10||2||20||10||11||0||1||3||3||3||0|
|13||Browns||L 35 - 41|
|12||@Colts||W 45 - 26|
|11||@Ravens||W 30 - 24||4||20||5||8||1|
|10||Colts||L 17 - 34||2||14||7||8||0||1||1||1||1||1|
|9||Bears||W 24 - 17||2||32||16||30||1|
|8||@Bengals||L 20 - 31||2||29||14.5||19||0|
|7||Steelers||L 24 - 27||1||9||9||9||0|
|2||Jaguars||W 33 - 30||4||84||21||63||2|
|6||Texans||W 42 - 36||1||13||13||13||0|
|1||@Broncos||W 16 - 14||4||36||9||22||1|
|5||Bills||W 42 - 16||5||40||8||14||2|
|3||@Vikings||W 31 - 30||5||61||12.2||21||0|