Super Dad: Titans Safety Kevin Byard Explains How He Delivered His Own Son at Family's Home


NASHVILLE – Kevin Byard has made some clutch plays during the course of his playing career.

In the season opener at Denver, in fact, his forced fumble led to an early Titans touchdown.

But the 27-year-old made the play of his life last month when he delivered his own son, Kevin Leon Byard IV.

Yes, it's true. And on Wednesday, Byard went into great detail about how it happened while on a video conference call with reporters.

"It's one of those deals where we just couldn't make it to the hospital," Byard started off. "Obviously we weren't planning on having the baby at the house."

Byard said his wife, Clarke, started having mild contractions on the evening of August 23. Around 10:30 p.m., Byard's wife woke up and things escalated quickly. Then, she started having more severe contractions while on the bathroom floor. The child was due on August 24th.

"I kind of got up, I wasn't really panicking, but I scrambling to get some clothes on, helping her try to get dressed," Byard recalled. "Her mom was downstairs, so I called her up."

Byard then got the car ready, as Clarke Byard started moving around. Byard called the doula and said, "meet us at the hospital." But with things changing, it became, "meet us at the house."

With the doula on the speakerphone, the Byards provided updates. With the doula being 30 minutes away from the Byard's home, she provided instructions. The first: "Let's try and get her in the bathtub."

But by this time, Byard said his son's "head was already poking out." At this point, Byard said his wife was on her hands and knees.

"The (doula) said, "Tell her to start pushing, the baby is coming," Byard recalled. "His face was pointing upward, so I could see his face was real purple. I was nervous about that, so the doula told me to support his head."

About 10 or 15 minutes later, there was serious action.

"Once he got his head out, his shoulders and everything just kind of slipped out," Byard said. "And I kind of caught him in my arms. He waited about five seconds, he coughed about two or three times, and started crying."

Byard's wife remained on the floor, and an ambulance was called.

"We ended up getting the placenta out, cut the umbilical cord, and we headed to the hospital," Byard said. "All of this happened from 10:30 to 11:05. It was like a 30-minute period. Things kind of went fast."

Byard and his wife also have a one-year-old daughter, Eliana.

A former MTSU star and team captain who has recorded 17 interceptions in his NFL career, Byard knows he has a moment he'll never forget.

"That was probably the most memorable thing me and my wife have ever been through in our relationship other than getting married," Byard said. "That's a story I am going to tell my son for the rest of our days."

Related Content

Fan Zone

Titans + Nissan Stadium App

Titans + Nissan Stadium App

Stay up to date with team and stadium news, concert and event announcements, stream live Titans games and more!

Tennessee Titans Marketplace

Tennessee Titans Marketplace

A one-stop shop for Titans memorabilia, autographed items and more!

Tennessee Titans Email Newsletter

Tennessee Titans Email Newsletter

Get Titans news sent straight to your inbox.