Quick Hits from Camp
- After the team decided to practice in their indoor facility today to escape the heat, ironically, an afternoon storm probably would have sent them indoors anyway.
- The Titans were without pads and with less contact today, as they used today primarily to prepare for their game against the Seattle Seahawks.
- Damian Williams continues to impress, as he made another spectacular catch today—this time in the end zone going up and over a defender for the score.
- Paul Williams and Ryan Mouton battled on consecutive plays during a team period, with each player getting the better of the other once. Williams went above Mouton in the back of the end zone to make a nice grab off the Rusty Smith pass. On the very next play, Mouton got an arm up to break up a pass intended for Williams in the corner of the end zone.
- The Titans added two defensive linemen on Thursday, signing Chris Harrington and Raheem Brock. To make room for the two new players, they released wide receiver Phillip Morris and waived injured defensive end Marcus Howard.
What is your favorite thing about Nashville?
"The people here are really nice, it's a lot like Atlanta with the southern hospitality and everything. The people are very welcoming; I haven't really had an opportunity to get out and get around that much, but it's been pretty good."
What did you do during the offseason?
"I went back to Atlanta to train with a group of guys who are currently in the NFL: Calvin Johnson (Detroit Lions), Hines Ward (Pittsburgh Steelers) and a couple of d-linemen. We got together and trained twice a day—weights, running, yoga classes, boxing classes so it was nonstop for all of July."
Favorite hobby off the field?
"When I get time, I like to play the PS3 online. I don't get to much free time, so that's about it."
What are your plans after football?
"Probably just to go back and give back to my community and my high school—giving kids the opportunity to excel by starting up camps, programs and stuff like that."
What's your favorite place to eat?
What's your favorite video game?
"Call of Duty – Modern Warfare"
Who is the worst dancer on the team?
"From what I've seen, probably Jovan Haye."
Who is the best player ever at your position?
If you could have dinner with any three people, living or dead, who would they be?
"Reggie White, Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X."
If you were a superhero, what would you want your power to be?
"Probably to fly."
Jeff Fisher Quotes
(on signing Raheem Brock)
Yeah, we also brought in Chris Harrington. We're light at the defensive end position right now and it's unfair to go into a game with three or four defensive ends right now. Marcus Howard had season-ending surgery on his tricep so we waived him to create one of the roster spots. We also let Phillip Morris go to free up the other roster spot. This is what sometimes happens at this time of training camp. You have injuries and you have to move people around so you can get to the preseason games.
(on whether seeing Raheem Brock over the years influenced the signing)
Yeah, you have to do the physical and see what kind of shape he is in and all of that. He passed with flying colors and he's excited about joining our team.
(on Stafon Johnson's excitement to return to the field after his injury last year)
Well his face just about cracked from smiling as he finished his first practice with the rookie mini-camp. That was a tremendous accomplishment for him and this is the next step. I'd imagine he will feel about the same way, especially when he has his first carry.
(on whether the coaches talk to the rookies about not trying to 'overimpress' on Saturday)
No, what you have to make clear to them is this. They are going to be playing a lot on offense and defense, but they are also going to be covering kicks and many of their opportunities will be determined by their ability to contribute on special teams. You can't discount that, it's important. We've got to rest and make sure they are keeping fluids in their bodies because they get a lot of snaps. The most important thing is to know what you're supposed to do and where you're supposed to be.
Daily Trivia Question(answer on Tuesday, August 16)
Which current Titans wide receiver had the most receiving yards collegiately?
How many current Titans have played in Pro Bowls?
Answer: Eight: Vince Young (2006 and 2009), Chris Johnson (2008 and 2009), Kerry Collins (1996 and 2008), Rob Bironas (2007), Cortland Finnegan (2008), Michael Griffin (2008), Chris Hope (2008) and Michael Roos (2008).