NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Titans were back on the field on Wednesday at Saint Thomas Sports Park for their 15th practice of training camp.
The team held a joint practice with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Here's a look at what stood out:
- Receiver Corey Davis stood out most among the Titans receivers. Davis made a great one-handed catch thrown by quarterback Marcus Mariota early, and he was busy throughout, catching balls across the middle of the field and in traffic. Coach Mike Vrabel praised him after practice.
- Titans receiver Taywan Taylor got off to a nice start in 1-on-1 drills, catching a sideline pass and later getting open for an acrobatic catch on a deep ball.
- Running back Derrick Henry had a good day. He delivered some crushing blocks on Tampa Bay defenders during one-on-one pass protection drills. And when the Titans moved into team periods, Henry produced some nice runs.
- The Titans had some sloppy moments on offense, with false starts (two on the second team) and drops. Taylor, Davis, and Tajae Sharpe all had drops at one point in practice, although all three responded with some nice grabs.
- I spent most of the day watching the Titans on offense, but I checked with Titans Radio's Dave McGinnis and Rhett Bryan about what they saw from the team on defense. They pointed up pass breakups by cornerbacks Logan Ryan and Adoree' Jackson, but said cornerback Malcolm Butler got beat deep. Du'Vante Lampkin got into the backfield a few times.
- Darius Jennings and LeShaun Sims worked as gunners when the Titans worked in the punting game. Later, safety Steven Terrell worked as one of the gunners.
- Adoree Jackson, Nick Williams and Deontay Burnett all went back deep to return punts when the Titans worked in the return game.
- Mariota made some really nice throws, especially late. But the offense also struggled at times, with overthrown balls and the previously mentioned drops. The Buccaneers got into the backfield to sack Titans quarterbacks on a few occasions. Mariota showed off his speed when he sprinted to the outside after faking the handoff to Henry.
- Burnett had a good day working with the 2s, and he even lined up with the first group when team went three-wide.
- Darius Jennings made some nice catches, including one on the sideline.
- Kicker Ryan Succop was a perfect 5-of-5 on field goal attempts, making kicks of 33, 37, 40, 46 and 50 yards. The Titans lined up for a 40-yard field goal on another occasion, and punter Brett Kern got up and threw the ball to tight end Luke Stocker.
- I thought the Titans put together a really nice sequence of plays when Henry darted through the middle and ran through a Tampa Bay defender, drawing an "Earl Campbell!" shout from a fan in the stands. Mariota hit Taylor on the following play, and then dumped it off to Dion Lewis for a nice gain.
- Sharpe made a nice sideline catch on a throw by Mariota late.
- Things got even more exciting when the two teams met on the same field late. Mariota started that period off with a strike to Davis, and then Henry had a pair of nice runs. But Mariota was later sacked in the period, and had another ball batted down at the line of scrimmage.
- Safety Kenny Vaccaro was flagged on a pass thrown by Bucs quarterback Jameis Winston late on a play that nearly ended with an interception by safety Kevin Byard.
- Linebacker Jayon Brown was around the football a lot. He continues to play fast.
- Linebacker Wesley Woodyard, linebacker Brian Orakpo, linebacker Rashaan Evans, receiver Michael Campanaro, defensive back Kalan Reed, safety Dane Cruikshank and defensive lineman David King did not practice for Titans.
- Orakpo and right tackle Jack Conklin, who remains on PUP, did some work before practice. Receiver Rishard Matthews, who's also o n PUP, watched practice.
- With Woodyard out, Will Compton and Brown worked with the first team at inside linebacker.
- With Orakpo out, Derrick Morgan and Harold Landry worked with the first team early, although Aaron Wallace also got work with the first unit late
Next practice: Thursday, 9:50 a.m.-noon with Buccaneers.
The Titans take the field for a joint training camp practice with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2018 at Saint Thomas Sports Park. (Photos: Donn Jones Gary Glenn)