NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Titans conducted their their second straight day in pads on Tuesday as training camp rolled on at Saint Thomas Sports Park. Here are some of the hot topics and big plays from practice.
• Wide receiver Justin Hunter had been quiet for the last two practices, but delivered the catch of the day on Tuesday. Going 1-on-1 against Jason McCourty, Hunter ran a crossing route and reached back on an underthrown ball to take it from the hands of the cornerback for the acrobatic catch.
• Blocking was the theme of the day. Whether it was wide receivers blocking defensive backs, or offensive lineman against linebackers, everyone worked on blocking/shedding blocks throughout practice.
• Whisenhunt praised rookie running back Bishop Sankey yesterday for showing some flash. He fumbled once Tuesday, but recovered nicely with some quick cuts for big gains – also showing his willingness to lower his shoulder and create contact. Whisenhunt reaffirmed Tuesday that they drafted him because he is a good match with their offensive system.
• Both McCourty and Coty Sensabaugh showed flashes at cornerback, breaking up deep balls intended for Nate Washington and Marc Mariani respectively.
• Whisenhunt said it's been a challenge to get enough reps for quarterbacks Zach Mettenberger and Tyler Wilson. With Locker and Whitehurst taking as many reps as possible, it's been difficult to judge the competition for the third spot thus far.
• The kicking competition between Maikon Bonani and Travis Coons will heat up during the combined practice with the Falcons and the first preseason game against Green Bay, Whisenhunt said. The coach said he has no plans of bringing a third kicker into the mix at this time.
• Running back Shonn Greene was given a scheduled off day from practice to not overwork his knee early on in training camp. He went through a brief walkthrough before team stretch then left the field. "We're just trying to be smart with it," Whisenhunt said after practice. Greene did return to go through a rehab workout without pads.
• The team has Wednesday off before returning to Saint Thomas Sports Park for another practice in full pads on Thursday at 9:20 a.m. The next open practice for fans is Friday at 2:50 p.m.