TITANS vs BUCCANEERS
PRESEASON WEEK 2
Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021
# # #
• The Titans improved to 2-0 in the preseason and have won three consecutive preseason games dating back to 2019.
• Following their 34-3 victory at Tampa Bay, the Titans have outscored their opponents this preseason 57-6.
• Their 31-point victory margin at Tampa Bay was the franchise's largest in a preseason game since a 44-point Oilers win (54-10) at Dallas during the 1988 preseason.
• The Titans were plus-three in turnover margin at Tampa Bay (two interceptions and one fumble recovery). In two preseason games, they have four total takeaways without committing any turnovers.
• The Titans won the time-of-possession battle 34:06 to 25:54 at Tampa Bay. Through two preseason games, the Titans are averaging a 35:20 time of possession to 24:41 by their opponents.
TEAM NOTES – OFFENSE
• The starting offense for the Titans included quarterback Logan Woodside; tight end Anthony Firkser; running back Jeremy McNichols; fullback Tory Carter; wide receivers Nick Westbrook-Ikhine and Josh Reynolds; and offensive linemen Ty Sambrailo (left tackle), Jordan Roos (left guard), Daniel Munyer (center), Dillon Radunz (right guard) and David Quessenberry (right tackle).
• Titans quarterbacks Logan Woodside and Matt Barkley combined to complete 19 of 24 passes for 179 yards and three touchdowns. Their combined passer rating was 137.3. In two preseason games, the pair has a 125.9 passer rating (47 attempts, 34 completions, 317 yards, five touchdowns, no interceptions).
TEAM NOTES – DEFENSE
• The starting defense for the Titans included defensive linemen Jeffery Simmons and Teair Tart; outside linebackers Harold Landry III and Derick Roberson; inside linebackers Rashaan Evans and Jayon Brown; safeties Kevin Byard and Amani Hooker; and cornerbacks Breon Borders, Kristian Fulton and Elijah Molden.
• The defense came up with a fourth-down stop in the first quarter. On fourth-and-one at the Tampa Bay 43-yard line, running back Giovani Bernard was stopped for no gain. Titans rookie cornerback Elijah Molden was credited with the tackle. The Titans had another fourth-down stop in the fourth quarter, and for the preseason they have not allowed a fourth-down conversion on three attempts.
• The Titans defense allowed two conversions of 14 third-down attempts by the Buccaneers offense (14.3 percent). In two preseason contests, opposing offenses are four-of-26 on third down against the Titans (15.4 percent).
• The Buccaneers gained only 17 rushing yards on 15 attempts – an average of 1.1 yards per carry against the Titans defense.
• The Titans defense has yet to allow the opposing offense into the red zone through two preseason games.
QB MATT BARKLEY
• Completed 12 of 16 passes for 115 yards and two touchdowns without throwing an interception. His passer rating was 134.1.
• Completed a five-yard touchdown pass to running back Mekhi Sargent in the first quarter. The touchdown pass came on fourth-and-one.
• Tossed a 20-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Mason Kinsey in the fourth quarter.
CB BRIEAN BODDY-CALHOUN
• Recovered a fumble by Buccaneers tight end Tanner Hudson and returned the ball 42 yards for a Titans touchdown in the third quarter.
• Added one tackle and two passes defensed.
S JAMAL CARTER
• Made his Titans preseason debut four days after signing with the club and recorded an interception. In the fourth quarter, he picked off a Kyle Trask pass and returned the ball 36 yards.
CB CALEB FARLEY
• Made his NFL preseason debut. The first-round pick (22nd overall), who was held out of the preseason opener at Atlanta, entered the game on defense on Tampa Bay's third offensive drive in the first quarter.
K SAM FICKEN
• Made both of his field goal attempts and all four of his extra point attempts. He has made all nine of his kicking attempts during the preseason – six extra points and three field goals.
• Booted a 48-yard field goal in the second quarter.
• Nailed a 58-yard field goal with three seconds remaining in the first half. His career long in the regular season is 54 yards (twice, last Oct. 1, 2020 vs. Denver).
WR DEZ FITZPATRICK
• Totaled two receptions for 30 yards and a touchdown.
• Caught a 23-yard touchdown pass from Logan Woodside in the third quarter.
S CLAYTON GEATHERS
• Made his Titans preseason debut five days after signing with the club and recorded an interception. In the fourth quarter, he intercepted a tipped pass from Kyle Trask that was intended for wide receiver Jaydon Mickens. Geathers raced 30 yards into Buccaneers territory to set up a Titans touchdown two plays later.
S AMANI HOOKER
• Totaled two tackles on defense and two stops on special teams. He also was credited with a special teams forced fumble (recovered by the Buccaneers).
P BRETT KERN
• Punted seven times for a 48.7-yard average and a 43.9-yard net average with two punts placed inside the 20.
• Placed a 45-yard punt at the seven-yard line in the third quarter and a 49-yard punt at the seven-yard line in the fourth quarter.
WR MASON KINSEY
• Led the team in receiving for the second consecutive week, catching six passes for 56 yards with one touchdown.
• Snared a 20-yard touchdown pass from Matt Barkley in the fourth quarter.
• Leads the team in receiving through two preseason games with 10 receptions and 107 receiving yards.
ILB DAVID LONG JR.
• Ended a Buccaneers series in the first quarter with a sack on third down, dropping Blaine Gabbert for an eight-yard loss.
S BRADLEY McDOUGALD
• Made his Titans preseason debut five days after signing with the club and registered three tackles, one pass defensed and one forced fumble.
• On a deep pass from Kyle Trask to tight end Tanner Hudson in the third quarter, he was credited with a forced fumble. The ball was recovered by Titans cornerback Briean Boddy-Calhoun, who raced 42 yards for a touchdown.
CB ELIJAH MOLDEN
• Started in his NFL preseason debut and led the team with eight tackles. He added one sack, two tackles for loss, one pass defensed and one forced fumble.
• In the fourth quarter, he contributed to an interception when Kyle Trask's pass tipped his helmet and was then snared by safety Clayton Geathers.
• In the fourth quarter, he sacked Kyle Trask for a six-yard loss, and on the following play, he registered a four-yard tackle for loss on wide receiver Jaydon Mickens.
• Credited with a forced fumble in the fourth quarter when he knocked the ball from the hands of wide receiver Cyril Grayson, who recovered his own fumble.
RB MEKHI SARGENT
• Led the team with 78 rushing yards on 16 attempts (4.9 avg.) with a long rush of 16 yards. He added a five-yard touchdown reception.
• Scored his first preseason touchdown on a five-yard reception in the first quarter. The catch, which came on fourth-and-one, was on a pass from Matt Barkley.
• Leads the team through two preseason games with 32 carries and 136 rushing yards (4.3 avg.).
OLB JOHN SIMON
• Produced a strip-sack in the second quarter. He dropped quarterback Ryan Griffin for a six-yard loss and knocked the ball loose, but it was recovered by the Buccaneers.
QB LOGAN WOODSIDE
• Started for the second consecutive week and completed seven of his eight passing attempts for 64 yards and one touchdown without throwing an interception.
• Completed a 23-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Dez Fitzpatrick in the third quarter.