NASHVILLE, Tenn. --The Tennessee Titans open the 2015 season at Tampa Bay on September 13 and they will open the home schedule on September 27 against Indianapolis. The Titans also will appear in a Thursday night primetime contest at Jacksonville on November 19.
"The release of the schedule for the upcoming season is always an exciting time for a coach, the players and an organization," said Titans head coach Ken Whisenhunt. "It seems like on a yearly basis the schedule has sections that provide challenges and opportunities. Opening on the road for the first two weeks jumps out at first look and certainly creates a sense of urgency to open the season. We will be able to put away the suitcases for the month of October with four consecutive home games and the bye week in there, and that is balanced out by finishing with three of four on the road. We pick up another mini-bye after the Jacksonville Thursday night game in late November, so it sort of sets up the season in thirds. A number of our games are noon starts, so that will get us into a routine, and maybe we can play ourselves into a flex game later in the season."
The Titans' schedule features home games against Buffalo, Miami, Atlanta, Carolina, Oakland, Jacksonville, Houston and Indianapolis.
Tennessee will travel to New England, New York Jets, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Houston, Jacksonville and Indianapolis.
Flexible scheduling may be applied in Weeks 5-16. During that period, flexible scheduling can be used by the NFL by shifting a Sunday afternoon game into primetime and moving the Sunday night game to an afternoon start time.
Also, a select number of games are being "cross-flexed," moving between CBS and FOX to bring potentially under-distributed games to wider audiences.
For Week 17, the Sunday night game will be announced no later than six days prior to January 3. The NFL schedule does not list a Sunday night game in Week 17, but an afternoon game with playoff implications will be moved to that time slot. Flexible scheduling ensures quality matchups in all Sunday time slots in those weeks and gives "surprise" teams a chance to play their way into primetime.
Additionally, the Titans released their preseason dates and times. Tennessee opens the preseason slate of games at Atlanta on Friday, August 14 at 6:00 p.m. (central). The Titans host St. Louis on Sunday, Aug. 23 at LP Field. Week 3 at Kansas City will be played on Friday, August 28th and the finale against Minnesota is scheduled for Thursday, September 3rd in Nashville.
The Titans 2015 schedule contains several interesting stories:
• The Titans open the season on the road for the third consecutive season and fourth time in five years. Additionally, it marks the second time in three seasons the team has opened the season with consecutive road games.
• The Titans and Jets meet for the eighth time in the last 10 years.
• The Titans will host the Dolphins for only the second time in the last 12 years and first time since 2009.
• The Titans will have four consecutive home games for the first time since 1990.
• The Titans end the season with three of their final four games on the road. During the Titans era (1999-present), this will be the first season with such an ending to the schedule.
• This marks the second consecutive year with a Thursday Night game at Jacksonville.