NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Titans were back on the field on Thursday for the seventh practice of training camp at Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Here's a look at what stood out:
- The Titans worked in a kick return period early in practice, and running back Dion Lewis was first in line handling returns. Cornerback Adoree' Jackson was next.
- The Titans did a lot of work in the no huddle.
- Receiver Corey Davis had a good day. Davis caught a pass thrown by quarterback Marcus Mariota in the middle of the field, and turned it into space in the open field. It would've been a big gainer in a game. The Titans are finding Davis on slants in camp, and he's taken the ball and turned upfield for some big plays.
- With veteran Delanie Walker held out, tight end Jonnu Smith had a busy day. On a wheel route, Smith got open in the secondary and Mariota found him deep downfield.
- Quarterback Blaine Gabbert connected with receivers Tajae Sharpe and Jordan Veasy on some nice plays across the middle during a period early in practice. It was part of a good day for Sharpe, who is picking up steam in camp.
- Rookie linebacker Harold Landry looked like he was shot out of a cannon on one rush, and in a game would've recorded a sack. His red-jersey victim on this day was Mariota.
- Receiver Nick Williams, who played previously with the Falcons, has put together back-to-back good days in practices. He caught a handful of balls on Thursday, including a nice diving catch on the sideline.
- Linebacker Wesley Woodyard was all over the place, and he even had success getting fans riled up with a "Defense, Defense, Defense" chant at one point.
- Tight end Anthony Firkser continues to take advantage of extra snaps.
- Cornerback Logan Ryan knocked down a pass intended for Williams in practice. Ryan made a nice read and closed on the football.
- Linebacker Aaron Wallace busted into the backfield and forced Gabbert to get rid of the ball quickly on one play in a team period.
- Demontre Hurst worked alongside fellow safety Kevin Byard with the first team in team drills. Safety Dane Cruikshank got a lot of work in the defense as well.
- Kevin Pamphile got some work with the first team at left guard, but Quinton Spain has received the bulk of the reps at the position in training camp.
- Running backs Akrum Wadley and Dalyn Dawkins had busy days on Thursday, and each one made some nice runs. Wadley has gotten more media attention, Dawkins has a pretty good burst with the ball in is hands.
- At the conclusion of practice, Mariota worked with Lewis in the passing game.
- Coach Mike Vrabel delivered some bad news during his presser at the end of practice: Safety Johnathan Cyprien suffered a torn ACL in Wednesday's practice, and is out for the 2018 season. The Titans are considering options in free agency, Vrabel said.
- Linebacker Brian Orakpo, linebacker Rashaan Evans, tight end Delanie Walker, receiver Michael Campanaro, defensive lineman Bennie Logan, safety Kendrick Lewis, linebacker Sharif Finch, and defensive end Connor Flagel did not practice.
- Receiver Rishard Matthews, tackle Jack Conklin and tight end Phillip Supernaw all remain on the team's Physically Unable to Perform list. All three were on the practice field as spectators on Thursday
Next practice: Friday, 7:15-9 p.m. at Centennial High.
The Titans take the field for Day 7 of training camp practice on Thursday, Aug. 2, 2018 at Saint Thomas Sports Park. (Photos: Donn Jones, Gary Glenn)