NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Titans were back on the field on Saturday at Saint Thomas Sports Park for their 12th practice of training camp.
Here's a look at what stood out:
- Receiver Corey Davis returned to the practice field, and looked good. Davis missed practice time last week, and while he dressed out and took part in warmups before Thursday's preseason game at Green Bay, he didn't play. Davis worked throughout the session on Saturday, and made some nice grabs. He let out some steam after one catch, throwing a defender off him. He later caught a bullet across the middle on a ball thrown by quarterback Marcus Mariota. He wasn't perfect – he had a drop. But it was a nice return. After practice, Davis caught passes from the JUGS machine.
- We had our first real scrap of camp, and it was a good one. Linebacker Derrick Morgan and Taylor Lewan went at it, and the two heavyweights went to the ground throwing punches. Teammates jumped in to break it up, and so did head coach Mike Vrabel, who promptly kicked both players off the practice field. Morgan and Lewan then walked toward the locker room side-by-side, almost like the whole thing never happened. But it did. Believe me, it did.
- One of the coolest moments in practice came when safety Kendrick Lewis picked off a pass, and headed the other direction. Defensive teammates regularly join the player who intercepted the pass on a sprint the other way, but this time Lewis had company from someone else – Vrabel. There was good reason. Vrabel and Lewis were teammates with the Chiefs back in 2010, so it was an opportunity for them to relive some of the past.
- Another eye-catching moment happened at the start of practice, in individual drills, when running backs coach Tony Dews was working with running back Derrick Henry. Dews, holding a blocking pad, challenged Henry to come at him in a drill. Hendy didn't hold back, knocking Dews back again and again. Finally, Dews went airborne when Henry went at him, and delivered a big impact. Dews landed, laughed, and kept going.
- Cornerback Malcolm Butler gave up a deep ball in the preseason opener at Green Bay, but on Saturday he went back to his training camp habits. He picked off Mariota late in the session during a two-minute period. He's closing in on a half-dozen interceptions in camp.
- Linebacker Jayon Brown carried over from his work in the game. He had a pick in Green Bay, and he had a pick in practice on Saturday. The guy has been making plays all camp.
- With rookie Harold Landry held out, Aaron Wallace worked opposite Morgan at first team outside linebacker.
- The Titans worked on some broad drills early, and then went to team periods. On the first play, Mariota connected with receiver Taywan Taylor for a big play across the middle. Taylor had a good day.
- Receivers Tajae Sharpe, Devin Ross and Nick Williams all made grabs in the early team period.
- Receiver Darius Jennings, who scored a touchdown against the Packers, caught a touchdown thrown by quarterback Blaine Gabbert in Saturday's practice. He also made a nice grab on a ball thrown by Mariota.
- Linebacker Will Compton, cornerback Logan Ryan and cornerback 'Adoree Jackson all made nice plays on defense in a 7-on-7 period. Cornerback Joshua Kalu nearly had an interception.
- Tight ends Jonnu Smith and Delanie Walker had back-to-back nice grabs late in the session.
- Right tackle Jack Conklin remains on PUP, but he did some work on a side field on Saturday, which was a good sign. Vrabel said he's making progress.
- Orakpo was also out on a side field, in uniform but not practicing. He seemed to be increasing his workload compared to what we've seen publicly since being injured early in camp.
- Linebacker Rashaan Evans did not practice, and Vrabel was asked about his status afterward. Vrabel said he's not ready to return to practice because of an injury, but provided no specifics.
- In addition to the players previously mentioned, safety Dane Cruikshank, linebacker Sharif Finch, defensive lineman David King, and linebacker Robert Spillane did not practice on Saturday, along with receiver Rishard Matthews, who remains on PUP himself.
Next practice: Sunday, 10:10 am-12:15.
The Titans take the field for Day 12 of training camp practice on Saturday, Aug. 11, 2018 at Saint Thomas Sports Park. (Photos: Gary Glenn)