TITANS vs FALCONS
PRESEASON WEEK 1
Friday, Aug. 13, 2021
# # #
• The Titans won the turnover battle with one interception on defense and no giveaways on offense.
• The Titans won the time-of-possession battle by 13 minutes: 36:30 to 23:30. The announced paid attendance at Mercedes-Benz Stadium was 65,726. It marked the first time since the end of the 2019 season that the Titans played in front of a crowd that was not limited in numbers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
• The Titans drafted eight players in the 2021 NFL Draft, and six made their preseason debuts in Atlanta: offensive lineman Dillon Radunz (second round), inside linebacker Monty Rice (third round), wide receiver Dez Fitzpatrick (fourth round), outside linebacker Rashad Weaver (fourth round), wide receiver Racey McMath (sixth round) and safety Brady Breeze (sixth round). First-round cornerback Caleb Farley and third-round cornerback Elijah Molden were not in uniform for the contest.
TEAM NOTES – OFFENSE
• The majority of the regular starters on offense did not play in the team's preseason opener, including quarterback Ryan Tannehill, running back Derrick Henry, tight end Anthony Firkser, and wide receivers A.J. Brown and Julio Jones.
• On offense, the starting unit included quarterback Logan Woodside; running back Darrynton Evans; wide receivers Marcus Johnson and Nick Westbrook-Ikhine; tight ends Luke Stocker and Tommy Hudson; and offensive linemen Christian DiLauro (left tackle), Ross Reynolds (left guard), Daniel Munyer (center), Dillon Radunz (right guard) and David Quessenberry (right tackle).
• The offense totaled 138 rushing yards on 37 attempts.
TEAM NOTES – DEFENSE
• The starting 11 on defense included defensive linemen Teair Tart, Larrell Murchison and Trevon Coley; inside linebackers Rashaan Evans and Jayon Brown; outside linebackers John Simon and Derick Roberson; safeties Kevin Byard and Amani Hooker; and cornerbacks Kristian Fulton and Jackrabbit Jenkins.
• The Titans defense's first two series resulted in a pair of three-and-outs. The unit forced the Falcons offense into a net total of minus-four yards on its first series and minus-two yards on its second drive.
• The Titans defense shut out the Falcons in the first half and limited them to three points in the game. The defense also allowed only six first downs, 138 total yards and 21 net passing yards. Tennessee defenders totaled five sacks and held the Falcons to a pair of third-down conversions on 12 attempts (16.7 percent).
• The Falcons had 11 drives on offense, and nine of those ended in their own territory. They did not cross midfield until their first drive of the third quarter.
TEAM NOTES – SPECIAL TEAMS
• Titans kickers Tucker McCann and Sam Ficken made a combined three field goals on three attempts and made both extra point attempts. On six total kickoffs, McCann and Ficken placed four in the end zone with no touchbacks.
• The Titans combined for nine total solo tackles on special teams.
OLB OLA ADENIYI
• Registered a six-yard sack of AJ McCarron in the second quarter.
QB MATT BARKLEY
• Played the entire second half and completed five of eight passes for 54 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions for a passer rating of 121.9.
• Tossed a 12-yard touchdown to tight end Miller Forristall in the fourth quarter.
WR CAMERON BATSON
• Recorded the Titans' first touchdown of the preseason, hauling in a 15-yard scoring strike from Logan Woodside in the second quarter.
• Also recorded three punt returns for 34 yards (11.3 avg.) and one kickoff return for 22 yards.
DT TREVON COLEY
• Started on the defensive line and combined with outside linebacker Rashad Weaver on an eight-yard sack in the second quarter. He totaled three tackles in the contest.
TE MILLER FORRISTALL
• Caught three passes for 20 yards, including a 12-yard touchdown on a pass from Matt Barkley in the fourth quarter.
K SAM FICKEN
• Made a 44-yard field goal in the third quarter. He also made both of his extra point attempts.
ILB JAN JOHNSON
• Shared a nine-yard sack with outside linebacker Wyatt Ray in the fourth quarter. He totaled two tackles in the contest.
WR MASON KINSEY
• Led the team with four receptions and 51 receiving yards.
• Helped convert a fourth-and-six with a 15-yard reception in the second quarter. The first down led to a Titans field goal.
• Helped convert a third-and-14 with a 15-yard grab in the third quarter, leading to a Titans field goal.
ILB DAVID LONG
• Intercepted a pass by AJ McCarron in the second quarter to give the Titans possession at Atlanta's 34-yard line. The takeaway led to a Titans touchdown on the ensuing drive. He totaled a pair of tackles in the game.
K TUCKER McCANN
• Made a 26-yard field goal in the first quarter and a 42-yard field goal in the second quarter. He also made a 47-yarder in the fourth quarter that was nullified by an Atlanta roughing-the-kicker penalty.
OLB WYATT RAY
• Led the team with seven total tackles and tied for the team lead with 1.5 sacks.
• Shared a nine-yard sack with linebacker Jan Johnson in the fourth quarter, and on the next defensive series, he recorded a one-yard solo sack.
WR CHESTER RODGERS
• Recorded a pair of punt returns in the first quarter for 71 yards, including returns of 14 yards and 57 yards. The latter set up a field goal for the Titans.
RB MEKHI SARGENT
• Led the team with 58 rushing yards on a team-high 16 attempts.
OLB RASHAD WEAVER
• Tied for the team lead with 1.5 sacks and totaled three tackles, two tackles for loss, two quarterback hits and one pass defensed.
• Combined with defensive lineman Trevon Coley on an eight-yard sack in the second quarter and added a seven-yard solo sack in the fourth quarter.
• Also batted down a pass by Feleipe Franks in the third quarter.
QB LOGAN WOODSIDE
• Started at quarterback and played the entire first half. He completed 10 of 15 passes for 84 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions for a passer rating of 103.2.
• Completed a 15-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Cameron Batson in the second quarter. Had completions to eight different receivers.