Free Agency Tracker | Tennessee Titans - TennesseeTitans.com
CB Tye Smith
STATUS: Unrestricted Free Agent
6-0 | 195 lbs
HOMETOWN: RALEIGH, N.C.
ACQUIRED: FREE AGENT - 2017
NFL EXPERIENCE (NFL/TITANS): 5/4
GAMES PLAYED/GAMES STARTED: 40/7 (PLAYOFFS: 6/2)
The Titans added free agent cornerback Tye Smith to the roster during the 2017 offseason to provide competition and flexibility in the secondary. The 6-foot, 195-pounder made the Titans' roster out of training camp in 2017 and set then career-highs with 11 tackles, an interception and eight special teams tackles. He spent the entire 2018 campaign on injured reserve, but bounced back to make a career-best 24 tackles in 2019. Smith entered the league as the Seattle Seahawks fifth-round pick (170th overall) in the 2015 NFL Draft. He spent the 2016 season on the Seahawks and Washington practice squads.
• In 2019, Smith saw action in nine games and collected a career-best 24 tackles. He produced some big plays during the season, including a 63-yard touchdown return of a blocked field goal at Indianapolis and a forced fumble that was returned 47 yards by Jayon Brown at Oakland.
• In 2017, Smith played in a career-high 15 games in his first season with the Titans and posted 11 tackles, an interception and eight special teams stops.
• In the spring of 2018, Smith hosted his first "Simple Greatness" youth football clinic at St. Augustine University in his hometown of Raleigh, N.C. Smith says Simple Greatness to him means, "It can't be measured. It means heart, dedication. It's all the intangibles that we as a society overlook because we look so much at things we can measure." Fellow NFL players Todd Gurley II, Jamison Crowder and Keith Marshall were special guest coaches.
• Smith enjoys volunteering his free time in the community and he helped raise money for Habitat for Humanity in 2018 with a bowling event and kids field day activity in his hometown of Raleigh, N.C.
• In May 2019, Smith held the second annual Simple Greatness Football Camp, hosting 300 kids for the free camp in Raleigh.
• He has his own website, www.simplegns.com.
• The Raleigh, N.C. native was selected by the Seattle Seahawks in the fifth round (170th overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft.
• Waived by the Seahawks on Sept. 3, 2016.
• Signed by the Seahawks to the team's practice squad on Sept. 8, 2016.
• Waived by the Seahawks on Sept. 20, 2016.
• Signed by Washington to the team's practice squad on Sept. 27, 2016.
• Signed by the Titans as a free agent on Jan. 1, 2017.
• Re-signed by the Titans as a free agent on March 17, 2019.
• Waived by the Titans on Nov. 2, 2019 and re-signed by the Titans on Nov. 5, 2019.
• Re-signed by the Titans as a free agent on April 21, 2019.
• Released by the Titans on Sept. 5, 2020 and signed to the team's practice squad a day later.
• Signed by the Titans to their active roster from the practice squad on Sept. 14, 2020.